It’s Presidents Day!
I love history, so President’s day is one of my favorite holidays. Who is your favorite president out of the first 10 presidents of the United States? Who was your least favorite? Tell us in the comments section of the Facebook post.
The First 10 Presidents
Presidents Day was originally a holiday to celebrate George Washington’s birthday (February 22nd) . It was moved from his birthday to the third Monday in his birth month in an effort to create more 3-day weekends for workers . It was then decided that it would be celebrating both Washington’s birthday and Lincoln’s birthday (February 12th) . It is now seen as a holiday to celebrate all presidents.
While President’s day isn’t as wildly celebrated as it used to be it can still be celebrated. You may get the day off or you may not. Government employees typically get the day off.
Things that happen on President’s Day:
- The postal service will not be delivering mail.
- The history channel will run documentaries on George Washington and Abraham Lincoln.
- Stores run sales.
- Car dealerships run sales.
Fun Facts about George Washington :
- At the battle of Monongahela on July 9th, 1755 he road forward to take charge of the collapsing lines and had 2 horses shot out from under him and 4 bullets shoot through his coat.
- He didn’t have a middle name.
- He powdered his hair and that’s why it looked white.
- He was made an honorary citizen of France in 1792.
- No one will ever outrank him in the military. He died lieutenant general and later was named General of the Armies of the United States.
- He loved dogs. He had more than 30 American Foxhounds. He stopped the revolutionary war to return a lost dog to the enemy.
- He lost more battles than he won.
- He is the only president to go into battle while serving as president.
- He had all of his teeth pulled at 57 and replaced with ivory false teeth set in a silver plate.
- He is the only president to be voted in by the electoral college unanimously. He was also voted in unanimously for his second term.
- He died at age 67 after 40 percent of his blood was removed in a 12-hour period to try and cure a throat infection.
- In his lifetime he wrote 18,000-20,000 letters.
- He never chopped down a cherry tree. It was made up by Parson Weems who wrote “The Life of Washington”
- He has the second shortest inaugural address at 135 words. He had to borrow money to attend his inauguration.
Fun Facts about Abraham Lincoln :
- He Practiced law without a degree. Lincoln had about 18 months of formal schooling.
- He was the only president to have a patent; It was for a device to free steamboats that ran aground.
- He was an animal lover and wouldn’t hunt or fish.
- He wanted women to have the right to vote in 1836.
- He didn’t drink, smoke, or chew.
- He didn’t have a middle name.
- He hated being called “Abe” He preferred Lincoln.
- He was the first president born in a state that wasn’t one of the original 13 colonies.
- He had a dog named Fido and a cat named Tabby.
- He was the first president to use the telegraph.
- He was the first president with a beard.
- He kept important documents in his hat.
- He created the secret service hours before he was assassinated.
Brought to you by: Martin, Harding & Mazzotti, LLP
Please Have a Safe and Healthy Presidents Day