As part of our commitment to safety, Martin, Harding & Mazzotti, LLP has analyzed close to 11,000 car accident records across 4 counties in the Capital Region; Albany, Rensselaer, Saratoga and Schenectady to find out which intersections are the most dangerous. The data examined was provided to MHM by the New York State Department of Transportation via a FOIL request and represents accidents reported from January 2015 – December 2016.
There was a total of 10,774 car accidents reported at intersections in the four counties resulting in 3,232 injuries and 19 fatalities during this time period.
Why did we undertake this review? We hope that our efforts reviewing and consolidating this data helps raise awareness of these dangerous intersections. Identification can reduce accidents, injuries and possibly save lives. Ultimately, that is what we hope to achieve with this review.
The table below represents the most dangerous, not the deadliest, intersections in the Capital Region. The rank score is a weighted calculation of the total number of car accidents, injuries and fatalities reported.
Here are some driver safety tips to help keep you and your loved ones safe on the road.
- Buckle up
- Observe the speed limits
- Do not drink and drive
- Be well rested and alert and give your full attention to the road
- Do not text and drive or use your phone at any time
- Use caution in work zones
- Be respectful of other motorists and follow the rules of the road
- Clean your vehicle’s lights and windows to help you see, especially at night
- Turn your headlights on as dusk approaches, or during inclement weather
- Do not let your vehicle’s gas tank get too low
- If you have car trouble, pull off to the side of the highway as far as possible
Many of the accidents that occur on our roads and highways are preventable which is why it’s important to keep the safety tips listed above top of mind. A car crash can result in serious injury or death, thousands of dollars in medical expenses, property damage and lost wages.
If you or a loved one have been injured as a result of an automobile, motorcycle or commercial truck accident it is important to protect your right to make a claim for the injuries that occurred. Call the law firm of Martin, Harding & Mazzotti, LLP, The Heavy Hitters at 1800LAW1010 (1-800-529-1010).