Pradaxa (dabigatran etexilate mesylate) is a blood thinning medicine manufactured by Boehringer Ingelheim. It is prescribed to prevent blood clots and stroke in patients with an atrial fibrillation (irregular heartbeat) not caused by a heart valve problem and to treat deep venous thrombosis (blood clot in legs) and pulmonary embolism (blood clot in lungs).
When first approved in 2010, Pradaxa was introduced as a safe and effective alternative to warfarin (also known as Coumadin), a blood-thinning drug that has been on the market since the 1950’s. Consequently, physicians authorized millions of Pradaxa prescriptions. Within months, patients and physicians started reporting serious instances of uncontrollable bleeding. Manageable injuries that would typically be healed by the body itself turned into severe and life-threatening events for those taking Pradaxa. Media reporting giant Bloomberg, reported that by 2014, the drug may have been responsible for more than 1,400 deaths.
Thousands of Pradaxa lawsuits have been filed on behalf of patient victims. If you have taken Pradaxa and have experienced serious side effects act now.
Warning Signs and Complications
- Abnormal pain or swelling in joints or other body parts
- Bleeding gums
- Dizziness, headaches or weakness
- Incontinence (loss of bladder or bowel control)
- Intracranial hemorrhage (brain bleed)
- Epistaxis (recurrent bleeding from the nose)
- Gastrointestinal bleeding (intestinal bleeding)
- Hematemesis (bloody vomit)
- Hematoma (spinal or epidural blood clots)
- Hematochezia/Melena (bloody stools signaled by black or red discoloration)
- Hematuria (blood in urine signaled by pink or brown discoloration)
- Hemoptysis (coughing up of blood or bloody sputum)
- Hemorrhage (uncontrolled internal or external bleeding)
- Menorrhagia (abnormally heavy menstruation)
- Muscle weakness, especially in lower extremities
- Myocardial infarction (heart attack)
- Unexplained bruising
Get Pradaxa Lawsuit Help Today
Call Martin, Harding & Mazzotti, LLP at 1800LAW1010 (1.800.529.1010) to speak with a Pradaxa lawsuit lawyer today. Our experienced legal team is ready to help you from several locations across New York State, with offices in: Schenectady, NY, Albany, NY, Saratoga Springs, NY, Plattsburgh, NY, Buffalo, NY, New York City, NY, White Plains, NY, Rochester, NY – as well as Manchester, VT and Burlington, VT.