Slip & Fall Injury Lawyers – Albany, NY
Many of us have felt the embarrassment of the “slip and fall” at some point in our lives. Some of us have felt it more than our fair share. But, what should you do if your slip and fall has left you with more than embarrassment and resulted in actual damages?
Slip and fall accidents may result in very serious injuries leading to sky-high medical bills, lost wages, and/or pain and suffering. Did you know that fall-related accidents account for over 8 million hospital and emergency room visits each year?
Slips, trips and falls are the number one cause of accidents in homes, hotels, restaurants and public buildings: 70% occur on flat and level surfaces, while 16% take place on stairs or escalators. Regardless of the time of year, you are always at risk of suffering a serious injury caused by a slip, trip and fall.
What To Do After You Suffer a Slip & Fall
By following the checklist below after experiencing a slip and fall, you will be able to better pursue your legal remedies, should you need and wish to do so. It is important to remember that a slip and fall accident can happen almost anywhere – a store, sidewalk, private home, etc.
Just because your slip and fall did not occur in the quintessential location, such as a store, does not mean that you may not have a legal claim against the landowner and/or possessor of the premises. It is also important to note that this checklist does not need to be completed in any particular order.
The order in which each checklist task should occur should be determined by the gravity of your injuries.
Slip & Fall Checklist
- Notify the store manager, or homeowner, or the person that is in charge of the premises of the slip and fall. It is important to let them know that you fell and to ask that they document the accident. Make sure to obtain a copy of anything they create to document the accident.
- If necessary, call the police and request that the police draft a proper police report. Make sure to get a copy of the police report.
- Take pictures! This includes taking pictures of the exact location of the accident, any contributing conditions (liquids present, dangerous weather, etc.), your clothes, your shoes, and your injuries.
- Get the names, telephone numbers, and physical addresses of all witnesses. Follow up with the witnesses at a later point and ask them if they would be willing to make a statement, be deposed, or testify if necessary.
- Preserve all items of clothing and shoes that you were wearing at the time of the accident. Write down everything that you remembered from the accident shortly afterward. Sign and date the document.
- Get medical attention! It is important to not delay this step as a significant delay between the time of the accident and the time of seeking medical attention may lead to your injuries being wrongly attributed to other, intervening, factors and/or to a wrongful determination that the injuries are not as grave as you claim.
- Do not sign any documents or speak to any insurance agents without seeking the advice of competent counsel.
This checklist is a great starting point for preserving your potential legal remedies. However, it is not meant to replace the individualized advice of counsel.
So, if you have sustained injuries from a slip and fall, contact the skilled attorneys at Martin, Harding, & Mazzotti, LLP in Albany, NY, for a consultation on your potential remedies.